Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Evolution of Broth Part IV: Chicken Broth

There are a variety of ways to control the flavor and intensity of any broth.  One way, for example, is how you spice your chicken for roasting. The spices infuse with the succulent drippings from the bird that end up at the bottom of the roasting pan, not to mention the spice-infused skin.  Another way is adding vegetables; I use vegetable scraps collected over a period of time (stored in the freezer).  Generally my vegetables add-ins include the following: yellow onion peels and ends from a few onions, carrots, the ends of asparagus stalk, broccoli stalk, red and green bell peppers, zucchini  . . . you get the idea.  These add wonderful flavors to a broth, as well as great nutrients.  I personally like a hearty and rich broth, that could stand on its own. 

 
Simmering the broth (2 1/2 hrs)

 However, sometimes a rich broth is not called for or necessary, sometimes a light broth that provides subtle flavor is just the right thing - I tend to use light broths when making spicy white bean chili - the spices are powerful and generally over power the broth.  The intensity of the broth can simply be manipulated with how long the broth is simmered.  For a strong, hearty broth I simmer the stock for almost 3hrs.  For a light broth I simmer for only 2hrs. Intensity will also depend on vegetables used in the stock, for example I find broccoli stalks adds a bold flavor to broth compared to the lighter,subtle flavors of yellow squash.
When I make chicken, or any meat broth, I usually let it cool in the fridge overnight.  This allows the fat to separate and congeal at the top.  If there is a lot of fat, I scrape the fat off the surface of the gelatinous broth.  As seen below.
Spooning the fat off the top of the chilled broth (light-yellow areas are fat).

The broth I made last week was rich and flavorful. I added locally grown, organic kale, chopped portabella mushrooms, diced onions, and chicken meat leftover from the previous night's Spicy Roasted Chicken. I added two bay leaves and let the soup simmer on the stove for one hour covered. After an hour I added slightly undercooked brown rice and simmered for another hour.  The result was a delicious and hearty/healthy chicken soup.
 
Everything in the pot!


Finished!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two nights ago I made a Roasted Italian Herb Chicken.  It was quite good.  I picked off leaves from my sage basil and thyme plants, diced them up fine and spread all over the chicken with olive oil. I served the chicken with white asparagus, tossed in  olive oil with garlic and baked at 350F for 15min in the oven while the chicken rested. The other side was roasted potatoes and carrots which I through in with the chicken from beginning to end.  The red potatoes and carrots were simply quartered and allowed to roast in the chicken juices, which allowed the the skin of the potatoes to develop a wonderful browned crust of fat, from the runoff of chicken juices (not exactly healthy, but soooo good).  



 A few days later I made the broth.  It was made with one whole chicken and I few pieces of onion, three large cloves of garlic - so a medium flavored broth.  Tonight I am going to use it to make Italian Herb Chicken Noodle Soup!





2 comments:

  1. Mouth is watering :) We made a curried whole chicken tonight (and by we, I mean JD). It was yummy and we have decided to take some of your advice and attempt a broth with the bones at some point (right now just freezing the bones).

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the way to start :) good luck with your pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete